I (as you can already tell) like all animals (except for few). I had three birdies and multiple goldfishes in my life. Today, I dedicate the blog to random facts of domesticated animals (cats, dogs, birds, ferrets etc). Maybe there are some behaviors that your pet does that you didn’t know until you read this post. So here we go
I always wanted a dog. I will some day when I have 1) time 2) money 3) space to have a dog. I also want a dog treadmill if I own a dog. I can’t walk a pup in the dead cold winter… So perhaps I should move to somewhere warm first.
- More than 5 million puppies are born in the United States each year. (So. Many. Dogs. And so many dogs that will be looking for home)
- Dog that lives in the city will live approximately three years longer than a country dog.
- Dogs can survive on a vegetarian diet.
- Dogs are considered color blind.
- When a dog licks you, he’s saying “I Love You” (duh- or I just ate yummy food)
My theory is that kitties are smart and pretend they don’t understand what we are saying. And does whatever they want to do because in their mind we are their pets.
- Cats cannot see directly under its nose.
- A cat cannot move its jaws sideways.
- Cats successfully navigate through mazes in complete darkness. They lose this ability if their whiskers are cut off.
- Cats can hear ultrasound.
- Cats spend 30% of their time grooming themselves.
- Cats can have freckles.
- Cats purr at about the same frequency as an idling diesel engine.
- The cat’s brain needs so much energy to function that over twenty percent of blood that the heart pumps goes immediately to it.
- Cats cannot survive on a vegetarian diet.
- Cat’s urine glows under a black light.
- Cats respond most readily to names that end in an “ee” sound. (Susan, Miami) (No wonder my kitty doesn’t respond to her name… Except when I call her “Ion” – this happened when I was trying to rename her and was calling her by every thing I saw in the room)
- A cat’s brain is more similar to a human’s brain than to the dog’s.
- The slightest touch on a cat’s whiskers will make its eyes blink.
- Guinea pig can not judge height easy. Never leave him on a chair or somewhere similar. (Oh…)
- If you drop guinea pig from a low height it will probably break its spine. (NOOOOOO)
- Guinea pigs are food in some countries. (:-\)
- Guinea pigs are born with fur and open eyes. (Most likely because they are a prey)
- A male guinea pig is known as a boar and the female guinea pig is known as a sow. A baby guinea pig is often called pup or piglet.
- Guinea pigs are not pigs and they are not related to pigs at all. (I figured as much)
- Guinea pigs are not from Guinea. (Who named Guinea pigs then, for what reason….)
Because you can never get enough facts in one post …
- Ferret was domesticated before a cat.
- Ancient Chinese royalty carried Pekingese dogs in the sleeves of their royal robes.
- The penalty for killing a cat 4,000 years ago in Egypt was death. (Good, you shouldn’t kill pets anyways)
- Felix the Cat is the first cartoon character to ever have been made into a balloon for a parade.
- Dogs are mentioned 14 times in Bible.
- Brutus is a dog that holds the record for the highest skydive by a dog at 4,572 feet. (My dog (if I ever own one) will not be able to do that because his owner is dead afraid of heights)
The fact credit: http://www.cool-small-pets.com/interesting-animal-facts.html#ixzz1hm9oE4Fi